Submit a Composite ACT Plus Writing score of 22 or higher with a minimum score of 19 on the Combined English/Writing OR a Composite SAT score of 1030 or higher on Critical Reading plus Mathematics, with a minimum score of 450 on Writing if taken before March 5, 2016, OR a Composite SAT score of 1110 (Evidence-based Reading and Writing plus Mathematics) or hgher, and a minimum score of 26 on the Writing and Language Test for the Redesigned SAT taken or or after March 5, 2016, in lieu of the Illinois Certification Testing System (ICTS/Illinois Licensure Testing System or ILTS) Basic Skills or Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) exams.
- If you choose to submit an SAT score, you must also have taken the writing subtest.
- You must follow the next steps of instructions in order successfully have your scores confirmed with the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE).
- Create an account in ELIS at: http://www.isbe.net/ELIS/default.htm
- Confirm that your score report meets the composite score requirements.
- Request that your scores be sent to ISBE directly from ACT or SAT. The score report must arrive in a sealed envelope addressed to ISBE from ACT or SAT.
- If requesting an ACT Plus Writing score report, use ACT code 3001 when ordering. There is no ISBE code for SAT. Request that your SAT score be sent to the Illinois State Board of Education, Division of Educator Licensure, 100 North First Street, S-306, Springfield, IL 62777.
- Check your ELIS acount to verify that you ACT/SAT score report has been accepted in lieu of the TAP. Please allow 60 days for this information to be added to your ELIS account
Pass the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP 400) offered by the ICTS/ILTS.
- Students who are currently residing outside of the state of Illinois or the US may take computer-based exams at over 225 nationwide and 30 international Pearson Professional Centers.
- In preparation for the exam, test takers are strongly encouraged to make use of the ICTS/ILTS online resources including an overview of the testing program.
The GRE exam is required NOT for admission. Subsequent ICTS/ILTS exams will occur during the residency year of the program.
Additionally, UChicago UTEP students have found the following helpful:
- ICTS/ILTS Science-Biology 105 Teacher Certification Test Prep Study Guide
- The Best Teachers' Test Preparation for ICTS/ILTS
- Junior Skill Builders Algebra in 15 Minutes a Day
- Chicago State University offers a class (MATH 0910) geared toward passing the Mathematics section on the exam and another course (MATH 0920) designed to help students navigate the secondary math content exam.
All applicants (without an ACT Plus Writing score of at least 22 or higher with a minmum score of 19 on the Combined English/Writing (16 if exam is taken September 1, 2015 or later) or SAT score of 1030 or higher on Critical Reading plus Mathematics, with a minimum score of 450 on Writing) must take the Test of Academic Proficiency even if:
- You are certified in another state
- Have taken a comparable exam in another state
- You are currently located outside the State of Illinois
- You are currently located outside of the United States